Thursday, April 17, 2008

Have You Referred Clients?

Referrals are priceless. They can help make or break your business. Lately I have received a handful of new projects, and three of them were from new clients. They called me within about fifteen minutes of each other one day, and neither one was related to the other. I think I need to continue going above and beyond, and then some!

"Hi Holly, you don't know me, but my sister referred me to you. She said you are a graphic designer and could help me with a logo."


"My dad, along with my sister and brother all referred you and your company (HRD Design). They said you did graphic design and would be able to take care of this project for me."


Do You Refer Clients?
By Paolo Pace

Recently a potential client, who I'll call Ed, wanted to meet with me about a project of his. Despite my schedule being packed and the client's place of business being a good distance away, I decided to try and fit him into a mid-way meeting downtown for coffee to discuss the project. Apparently that was not good enough. Ed politely explained that though meeting for coffee would be nice he needed for me to come to his office in order to see some of his other websites and go over his needs in person.

At this point personal alarm bells started going off. I had no idea what the project was about nor would I unless I cleared my schedule and met with him in person. I had no idea if I could handle this project, if Ed would want me for the project and if I could be reimbursed (later on) for the rather large expense of heading out to visit with him.

Well I am never one to pass up business so I put my thinking cap on and came up with a solution. I suggested that we telecommunicate with each other about the project and how I could assist him. I shared with Ed that I work this way 90% of the time and 100% successfully. Considering our inability to meet in person I felt this to be our best option. He responded once again only this time expressing his reluctance to deal with me in this way and that he had already made several other appointments with other designers that were glad to make the trip. He thanked me kindly and signed off.

Fearing that I would walk away from this situation having gained nothing I threw in my last ditch plan... I advised Ed of another firm that I thought might be available and that I highly recommended - in other words, a referral. By doing this I ensured that Ed would not speak poorly of my business given that I was eager to assist him in finding another design team. Furthermore, I opened up more opportunities between Ed, the referred design firm and myself in the future. All in all, if I couldn't keep the client I ensured that they left happy and that my design friends knew to rely on me for potential additional business.

The lesson I learned here is that I, as a freelance designer, have limits. I do not have a representative who can drive around the city all day long meeting with potential clients, nor can I do this myself. I am often bogged down with finding new clients, organizing projects, designing and managing my business. So, when clients with mysterious projects come along and require me to ignore that telecommunication is an effective alternative to face to face meetings I must make a decision; do I have the time and can I risk the money to gain what could be a promising new business relationship at the cost of losing or disrupting my existing projects and client relations? For me, at this time in my life, the answer is no. Therefore I keep a list of design firms and commercial artists that I can refer clients to in times of need. I trust in their ability to handle a wide variety of projects, as well that they can see it through professionally so as to protect my credibility.

So if you own a design firm, freelance or work for a company make sure that you always have a back-up plan to protect your assets!


Being a designer, I think this should go both ways. Clients, along with designers, should refer other business prospects. That way working with that person or company in the future will not become a sore point. It will be a pleasure to do business with one another.

I always try to send work to my printer friend (who I use to work for). I know he does the same for me, and I greatly appreciate it.

Be kind, refer your freelance designer!

No comments: